Zemas Gluten-Free Mexican Spoon Bread
Spice up mealtime with Zemas Mexican Spoon Bread recipe.
- Zemas Gluten-Free Multigrain Pancake & Waffle mix
- 3 c. milk of choice (almond, coconut, dairy)
- ¼ c. pure maple syrup
- 6 T. butter (dairy-free or regular)
- ½-1 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ a jalapeno pepper, diced finely and seeds removed
- 4 eggs, separate the yolks from the whites
- 1 ½ c. pepper jack cheese, grated (dairy-free or regular)
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 t. cayenne (1/4 t. if you aren’t using pepper jack cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a glass 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan scald the milk. Do not bring to a boil, you want to pull it off the heat right before it starts to boil.
- With the saucepan off the heat, stir in the butter, maple syrup, rosemary millet mix, salt, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, and Serrano pepper, until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add the beaten egg yolks, to the saucepan and mix thoroughly; set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the rosemary millet mixture, ½ a cup at a time, making sure the egg whites are thoroughly folded in. You may need to transfer the mixture from the saucepan into a large mixing bowl to do this.
- Once the egg whites are folded in add in the grated cheese, reserving ¼ cup to sprinkle on top.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top should be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c. your favorite veggie
- 2 T. oil of choice (grapeseed oil, olive oil, coconut oil)
- Sautee onions and peppers in oil until slightly soft and onions are translucent, let it cook for a while on low (while scalding the milk). Fold the vegetables into the spoon bread batter after the egg whites are folded in. Continue with the recipe.
Include Chicken or Chorizo
- Fold in about 1-2 cups cooked chicken breast (shredded) or chorizo into the mixture after the egg whites have been folded in. Continue to follow the recipe.
- TO REHEAT: Bake square piece in oven at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes, or pan fry in olive oil.
- Love the kick of the Mexican Spoon Bread then try Zemas gluten-free Crispy Eggplant with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce.
Zemas Madhouse Foods http://zemasfoods.com/