Zemas Gluten-Free Dirt Dessert Cups
A fun and healthy way to celebrate Earth Day with your family. Learning about the Earth's layers thru whole food that is allergy friendly, delicious and nutritious is what makes these gluten-free Dirt Dessert Cups so amazing!
- 10 Zemas mini double chocolate cookies, ground in a food processor
- 1 c. dried, grated coconut, colored with natural green or yellow food coloring
- Organic, natural gummy worms or bugs
- (Pastry Cream*)
- 1 1/3 c. milk of choice(dairy, almond, rice, coconut)
- 3 T. pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ T. tapioca starch
- 1 t. vanilla
- (Whipped Coconut Cream**)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- (Pastry Cream*)
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and maple syrup to just before a boil.
- Mix the tapioca starch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the milk is almost to a boil, add in the starch mixture and whisk until thickened.
- Take saucepan off of the heat and add in the vanilla.
- Pour the pastry cream into a glass container to cool.
- Lay plastic wrap over the top so it sits flat/touching the pastry cream.
- Set aside and let cool, or put in the refrigerator for atleast 1 hour to set-up.
Whipped Coconut Cream
- Scoop the top layer of the coconut milk (the solid white part) into the bowl of mixer fitted with the whip attachment.
- Whip the coconut milk on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and mix until combined.
Assembling the Dirt Dessert Cups
- Fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream until well combined.
- Do not over mix, you want to keep it light and fluffy.
- Add a few drop of green food coloring into the coconut flakes and mix with a spoon, set aside(option to lightly toast in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes).
- In a small cup or Mason jar, spoon in the cream mixture first to just below the top.
- You can hide some gummy candy inside the Earth’s core.
- Top with crushed cookies (to resemble dirt) then top that with the green or yellow colored coconut (to resemble grass).
- Add more gummy worms for decoration on top.
- *Pastry Cream for the middle earth layer can be made up to two days ahead.
- If making the same day as assembling the cups, make sure you give it time to cool and set up in the fridge for atleast 1 hour.
- **The cans of coconut milk need to be refrigerated overnight prior to using.
- If you had fun making these yummy gluten-free Dirt Dessert Cups, then you will love making our gluten-free gluten-free Compost Cookies recipe.
Zemas Madhouse Foods http://zemasfoods.com/