Zemas Gluten-Free Compost Cookies
Spend some time in the kitchen with the kids mixing up Zemas Compost Cookies! Gummie worms and potato chips all smashed up with Zemas ancient whole grain cookies sandwiching them in. You and the kids will love it!
- Zemas Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie mix
- 1/8 c. unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ c. oil of choice (grapeseed, olive, coconut)
- ½ T. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. gluten-free pretzels, crushed up fine
- ½ c. potato chips, crushed up finely, divided
- 1 pkg. gummy worms (we prefer organic, dye-free ones!)
- 1 ½ c. butter, room temperature (diary-free or regular)
- 4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- 3 oz. chocolate chips, melted (dairy-free or regular)
- 2-4 T. milk of choice (dairy, rice, almond)
- 1 ½ c. potato chips, crushed
- 1 c. pretzels, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the applesauce, oil and vanilla, mix well.
- Add in the cookie mix.
- Once combined, fold in the pretzels and ¼ cup of the potato chips.
- Form 2” balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Using your palm, lightly press down on the cookies, sprinkle the reserved potato chips on top and press them gently into the cookie.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add in the cocoa powder and vanilla, and mix until thoroughly combined and again scrape down the bowl again with a spatula.
- Add in the melted chocolate and mix.
- Next, add in 2 tablespoons of milk one tablespoon at a time, you want the frosting to be spreadable.
- You may need to add more milk, if that’s the case add it one tablespoon at a time.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the potato chips and pretzels.
- At this time the cookies should be cool (if not leave them until completely cool).
- Spread about ¼ cup of compost buttercream onto one side of a cookie, add on 2 or 3 gummy worms, and then cover with another cookie.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Love Zemas Compost Cookies than try Zemas ancient grain twist on the classic Dirt Dessert recipe.
Zemas Madhouse Foods http://zemasfoods.com/