Zemas Gluten-Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Traditional coffee cake gets a nutritional Zemas upgrade with ancient whole grains, superseeds, and anti-oxidant ground cinnamon spice. It's the perfect family friendly breakfast treat for the whole family.
Streusel Topping & Filling
- 2/3 c. Zemas Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Oatmeal Apple Muffin mix
- 1/3 c. sugar of choice
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. salt
- 5 T. butter, melted (regular or dairy-free)
- 1 T. oil of choice (grapeseed, coconut)
- 1/3 c. walnuts, finely chopped using a food processor(optional)
Zemas Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Oatmeal Apple Muffin mix
- 2 eggs (or egg replacer)
- 3/4 c. buttermilk (diary-free or regular)*
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- 4 T. butter (regular or diary-free)
- 1/3 c. sugar of choice
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. xanthan gum
Streusel Filling Directions
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 2/3 c. Zemas mix, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add in the melted butter.
- Using your fingers or a fork, combine until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Take out 1/3 cup of the mixture and put into a second bowl and add in the 1 T. of oil-set aside; this is the cinnamon swirl filling.
- Add in the walnuts to the remaining mixture; this is the streusel topping for the coffee cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining Zemas mix, xanthan gum, baking powder and baking soda from Cake ingredient list.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the eggs (or egg replacer) to the butter mixture one at a time, mixing well between additions.
- In 3 parts, add the dry mixture into the butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- Once combined, pour the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle streusel filling over the batter and swirl around using a butter knife.
- Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow to completely cool before cutting.
- Zemas favorite egg replacer is mixing ¼ c. water with 1 T. of chia seeds. Stir and allow to gel (approx. 5 minutes).
- *To make your own dairy-free buttermilk, mix 1 c. unsweetened almond milk (coconut, rice, soy) with 2 ¼ t. apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes
- Love Zemas Cinnamon Coffee Cake? Try Zemas gluten-free Apple Pie Waffles recipe with Zemas Gluten-Free Multigrain Pancake & Waffle mix.
Zemas Madhouse Foods http://zemasfoods.com/