Zemas Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies
Zemas Blueberry Hand Pies are a delicious way to enjoy your fresh farmers market blueberries this summer. Make them for your family or bring to a party, allergy friendly and vegan, they are a definite crowd pleaser.
- Zemas yeast risen Multigrain Dough
- 2 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/3 c. palm sugar (sugar of choice)
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. starch (tapioca, arrowroot, corn starch)
- Oil to brush on top
- 2 T. palm sugar, for dusting on top (sugar of choice)
- Zemas Gluten-Free Multigrain Pancake & Waffle mix
- 1 c. water, warm
- 2 ¼ t. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 T. oil of choice (olive, grapeseed, coconut)
- 2 T. palm sugar (sugar of choice)
- ¾ t. sea salt
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 3 t. xanthan gum
- In stand up bowl with paddle attachment combine water, yeast, sugar and oil. Mix for 1 minute and let rest for 15 minutes, until fluffy.
- In mixing bowl whisk together Zemas mix, sea salt, and xanthan gum.
- When the yeast mixture is fluffy add in half the dry mix and blend on low until combined.
- Add remaining mix and apple cider vinegar; blend on low until sticky and smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with oiled plastic wrap then place bowl in a warm place and allow it to rise for 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours, preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a jelly roll pan with parchment, spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix blueberries, ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and starch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece out between two pieces of parchment paper sprayed with non-stick spray (the dough should be rolled out on the sprayed side).
- Roll into a square about ¼ inch thickness, it should be about 5 inches in length.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of blueberry mixture and put in the middle of the dough.
- Using the parchment paper to help you, fold over the dough and crimp the edges shut using a fork. You need to be very gentle.
- Transfer the hand pie onto your jelly roll pan. Brush hand pie with grape seed oil and sprinkle with palm sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes. Lower oven to 350 then bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Take out and let cool on cooling rack.
- Zemas Blueberry Hand Pies are great and if your family loves them then you have to try Zemas gluten-free Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe.
Zemas Madhouse Foods http://zemasfoods.com/